MBBS in UK 2023: United Kingdom provides a 5 to 6 years MBBS program. MBBS is offered as MB (Bachelor of Medicine) is ChB, BS, BAO, and BCh. All these courses are equal to each other and deal with medical studies such as medicine, surgery, and obstetrics. More than 42,000 medical students visit the UK every year to seek medical courses. Most of them are female candidates. Here are complete details about MBBS in UK 2023:
- Indian students require a minimum of 50% in the NEET examination to apply for MBBS at UK-based universities.
- The estimated annual tuition for MBBS ranges between 22,800 GBP to 52,000 GBP.
- Most importantly, students need to register themselves at the General Medical Council (GMC) of the UK after getting done MBBS from the medical colleges of the UK to practice as a doctor.
Reason for choosing the UK to acquire MBBS:
Following are the reasons for choosing the MBBS program from the UK:
- Minimum 45 universities in the UK are ranked in the list of top medical universities in the world.
- Doctor/Physician in the UK earns 67% more than that of other health and medical occupations.
- The salary of Doctors/Physicians increases every year.
- Graduates of MBBS at UK universities need not appear for the Foreign Medical Graduate Exam to practice in India.
- The salary of surgeons in the UK is 54,000 GBP annually and ranked # 4 in the world.
List of Top Universities for MBBS in the UK:
Check the list of top universities to pursue the MBBS program from:
- University of Oxford
- University of Cambridge
- University College London
- Imperial College London
- King’s College London
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Manchester
- University of Glasgow
- Newcastle University MBBS Medicine and Surgery
- Queen Mary University of London
Course Fees Structure:
Students must acquire the comprehensive details about the course structure given below:
- The curriculum and the course structure of MBBS at UK-based universities are different from other countries. The student will get the degree of MB after qualifying as a medical doctor. MB is the minimum qualification to practice as a doctor in the UK.
- Besides MB, the top universities in the UK award other degrees too such as BS, ChB, or BCh (Bachelor of Surgery). All these degrees are equal to each other and after attaining the degree, the students will become eligible to practice as a surgeon.
- Those who are interested in obstetrics need to clear the obstetrics portion of the exam. The degree rewarded after qualifying this examination is known as BAO (Bachelor of Obstetrics)
MBBS in UK 2023 Application Process:
If you are from India and interested to apply for MB then you must have cleared 10+2 and NEET test scores in any of the UK-based universities. Here are the steps to apply for MBBS at UK universities:
- Keep your documents ready for verification. In case you reside at Non-EU State, then apply before 1st September & 30th June.
- You can apply using the UCAS portal or else through the university’s website. Therefore, register yourself on either of them and submit the application form.
- After submitting the documents, wait for the confirmation and invitation letter.
- Now, go to the nearest British Embassy to begin the immigration process.
- On arrival date, contact the university so that a representative from the UK come to pick you.
Check the eligibility criteria to apply for MBBS in UK 2023:
- The candidate’s age should be 18 years
- Candidate must have acquired at least 80 % in class 12th (scores in Chemistry and Biology are mandatory)
- In addition to this, UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT), the Biomedical Admissions Test (BMAT), or GAMSAT test scores are also required. The average cut-off score for tests to study in the UK are as follows:
- UKCAT – 650
- BMAT – 4.5 to 5.0
- GAMSAT – 60 to 66
- NEET – 50 percent
Important Documents Required for Admission:
Check the list of crucial documents required for admission:
- Attested Marksheets of 10+2 and their copies.
- Any diploma certificate.
- A reference letter on your Academics by the professor taught you recently
- Work experience Letters with recommendations from supervisors (if any)
- A Statement of Purpose.
- Photocopy of IELTS/UKCAT/BMAT scores.
- Proof of funds.
Proof of English Proficiency:
For seeking admission to any college located in the UK, the international candidate needs to appear for IELTS. This test will be helpful in testing listening, speaking, and writing skills. The average cut-off score is 6.5 in most of the top-ranked universities.
Visa Application Process:
Once you decide on the course to study, apply for a UK student Visa. The following documents required to apply for Visa:
- The passport and photocopy of the same
- The latest photograph
- A consent letter from your university or college.
- Proof of English Proficiency
- Proofs of financial condition
- A non-EU or Swiss student may also need an additional ATAS certificate.
The Indian student’s visa fee is 32,930 INR. Besides this, if you wish to study the English Language then submit 17,601 INR for 11 months duration course.
Pre-arrival cost is a one-time fee before accepted at the university (the fee is in GBP)
- Application Fee: 60- 90
- Visa Application Fee: 348
- IELTS Registration Fee: 150
- TOEFL Registration Fee: 140
- NEET Fee: 150
MBBS in UK 2023 Tuition Fees:
Every university has a different tuition fee. However, the highest tuition fee in the top two universities of the UK annually are as follows:
- University of Cambridge: 52,000 GBP
- University of Glasgow 47,900 GBP
Cost of Living:
London is an expensive place to stay in. The average cost of living without a college fee can be £1,020 per month and outside London £820. The other monthly expenses are as follows:
- Food: 50 GBP
- Gas and electricity bills: £45 – £55 GBP per month
- Beer or wine: 3.19 GBP and 3.6 GBP respectively
There are plenty of apartments or flats situated off-campus on a sharing basis. The UK provides top lodging facilities. The average cost of accommodation in the UK is £400.
Career Opportunities after MBBS:
After completing MBBS from the UK, candidates can attain a career in the following fields:
Here is the list jobs and annual salary (GBP) in UK after completing MBBS:
- General Medical Practitioner – 221,000
- Invasive Cardiologist – 460,000
- Obstetrician – 303,000
- Neurologist – 320,000
- Ophthalmologist – 256,000